Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Wonderstruck is here!

Wonderstruck is here, Wonderstruck is here, Wonderstruck is here!  Can you tell that I am leaping out of my chair in excitement over the arrival of Brian Selznick's new book Wonderstruck?   As many of my students know, The Invention of Hugo Cabret is one of my all-time favorite books.  Author/illustrator Brian Selznick literally created a new genre with that book because he blended pictures and words in a whole new way (he won the Caldecott Award for Hugo Cabret, despite the fact that it is 533 pages long!).  With Wonderstruck, Selznick uses the same format - page upon page of exquisite black and white drawings, juxtaposed by narrative text.  The illustrations tell one story, the words another; they seem to have nothing to do with one another until the amazing end, when the pieces come together miraculously.

I love this book.  Do not be intimidated by the size (it is a very fat book)!  Despite its 638 pages, it is a fast read (partly because once you pick it up, you won't be able to put it down).  You can learn more about this extraordinary book at the Wonderstruck website.

But for now, dear readers, I have a problem.  I know that many of you will want to read this book right away.  This is a problem I like to have, but I need your help in deciding who should get to read it first.  Please post a comment convincing me that you should be our library's first Wonderstruck reader.  Convince me that you are most worthy of this honor!  I will choose someone by the end of the week.

11 comments:

  1. i should be next for Wonder Struk because it is my level and it would make a perfect book for tweenty minutes every night and plus it's hard for me to find good books and I already want to read it so pls pls pls pick me first

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need this book I this need it!!I need it because I loved it at first site and it is meant for me!!Please please give me this book !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will super efficient with this book because it looks very old so I should be the first one to read it.And I have never ever ever have read big fat books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I WANT TO READ THIS BOOK SO MUCH!WHEN I SAW IT I WANTED TO MARRI IT!SO PLEASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSE LET ME READ IT!I'LL DO ANYTHING FOR IT EVAN GET YOU A WHOLE COLETOIN OF MY GRANDFATHERS BOOKS
    PS I NOW IT IS IN CAPS LOCK

    PLEASE!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should be the first one to get WONDER STRUCK because I will bring it back and I will do a podcast for it so other people would want to read it.Second of all if you give it to me I will do battle of the books and I will read all summer every day.Third of all I will run five miles so please give me WONDER STRUCK.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to read this book because it is my level not to find and it is my style! But if I do not convince you I will find a time to read it. Love, Savanna.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I should be the first one to read Wonder Struck because it's in my reading level and it looks very interesting. I REALLY WANT TO READ THIS BOOK.
    PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESE LET ME READ THIS BOOK;]!!!


    By:
    Lily;]

    ReplyDelete
  8. i should read WONDER STUCK first because first it is my reading level and because i have read the first book HUGO CABRA and i will read it so quick that i will read it in a week so some one else can read it after also because i love reading books and it would be good for 20 min. of reading every day because i just want to read it and,...... i never get a book first and.... i am almost done with all of my other books so i do not have any other book because i finished Smile and i am almost done with the TRUTH ABOUT HORSES and i really really really really want it soooo ppppppppppllllllllllllleeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaasssssssssseeeeeeeee please please please thank you if you are reading it please please i will get that book so please by Abbie baker

    ReplyDelete
  9. Abbie said
    Plus, i am convincing you by saying, May i read the book Ms. Phelps i would like to read the book wonder stuck... :) :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you give to me I will take care of it. I always in joyed Brian Selznick and his book Hugo Cabrat. I really want it and please.I've bean waiting to read it for a long time. So If You give me it I'll take care and not fight and say no I'm still reading even though I finished it. So please let me have it.
    I HOPE YOU GET IT TO ME

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ethan Pascuzzo

    I think I should read WONDER STRUK becaus I love HUGO CABRET. I think you should let me rent WONDER STRUCK because I'm saying PLEASE not like those other guys saying PPPPPLLLLLEEEEEAAAASSSSEEEEEEE. It is just wierd. so I think you should let ME rent WONDER STRUCK because I'll type on the home row for the rest of the year. Thanks for litenning.

    ReplyDelete